Special Needs Planning
Planning for the Special Needs of the Disabled
Family members caring for children or adults with special needs often worry about what will happen to their loved one after they die. The caregiver may be providing comprehensive assistance that includes taking care of all financial and business affairs, personal needs and housing. The cost of this level of care can be significant.
At the Mount Kisco, New York, Law Office of Neil H. Reig, clients concerned about their family members with special needs can learn about their options. They can find out how to provide needed resources to care for their loved ones after they die.
Options for Special Needs Planning
- Disabled persons need and deserve legal protection as well as the assurance of a dignified quality of life. Accomplishing this requires a coordinated effort that can include the following:
- Providing information about private and government-funded programs and professionals available to your loved one
- Developing a complete care plan, consulting with medical and social services experts as needed
- Establishing trusts, such as special needs trusts and supplemental needs trusts that can benefit your loved one after your death
- Helping with applications for SSI and Medicaid benefits
- Ensuring that your loved one with special needs is included in your will
- Assisting with applications for guardianship when appropriate
The goal of special needs planning is to provide a comfortable life for your disabled loved one during your lifetime and to ensure that the same level of care continues after your death.